Weather Wonderings

Outside, the trees are golden yellow, with a small carpet of leaves around their roots, preparing themselves for the cold winter coming ahead. Winter's have been getting colder here, and every year there seems to be more snow. I, too, am preparing for winter. I have been continuously barraged with allergies, and the crispy snips at my nose aren't helping. All last week I stayed in my room, hidden in my blankets for warmth. My mother hates it when the temperature is turned up, even two degrees! Thus, I stay in my room, begging my miniature heater to keep at least a part of my life warm.

I have seen less birds outside my window. It was nice last month seeing them stop by the birdbath outside my window. They would cutely sit in the water, then suddenly start helicoptering through it like jet skis, a small arch of water pouring out of the bath behind them. I suppose they've all flown south for the winter. In the spring, they'll be back to their roosts, and I will be able to see their (sort of) adorable babies.

My succulents are doing surprisingly well. One of them has decided this is the perfect time to start having a ton of babies. As it is getting colder, soon I will have to make space in the house for them. The windowsill downstairs might be nice, if there was more sunlight. 

My bedroom windowsill would be ideal, I'll be able to hide some away there. My bedroom window is one of my favorite places to look out at the snowscape. I can see my entire cul-de-sac, and now part of the street across from me. It is kind of like looking at those towns of miniatures people make for the Holidays. Sometimes I might spy a child slip, or a dog jump enthusiastically through the snow. During quarantine, my neighborhood will look especially like these small towns, no one getting too close, waving from a distance, and covered up head to toe. Perhaps it will be harder to tell everyone is wearing masks, as scarves will in fashion. Although we will be more separated than before, I think it may feel almost normal. That was a bit of escapism talking. The cold winter blues might hit harder this year.


I still have two minutes of writing left, so I would like to ask you all to take care of yourselves, and reach out to friends, family, or strangers if you need any help. Also, I would like to thank you for reading this post, and if you have any suggestions for writing topics I would love to hear your ideas.

Pic credit: Getty images

Comments